Friday, August 24, 2012

Operation Rescue Gary

Early Wednesday morning, bursting with emotions, I tweeted this:


You can probably tell that I’m a bit pissed. Okay, maybe a lot.

He’s not dog-knapped of course, he was impounded. No, wait, he was definitely dog-knapped! I have never heard of an impounding scene happening right in front of your gate, while your father is parking the car!
It’s crazy. Baloney. Nuts. And all the synonyms you could think of.

The city that I live in, Makati, has got to be one of the most strict cities in the country. They don’t want any stray dogs running around or walking about. Everyone that they see without a leash, they get. And boy, are they sneaky.  Kinda like a ninja-dog-knapper.

What’s worse is you have to pay an exorbitant fine if you want to get your pooch back. Yeah, it’s all money talk.

Gary is quite an eccentric dog. He doesn’t wear a collar because he hates it. He just likes to run around our garage all day. No need to walk him around on a leash either; as long as you feed him, he’s fine. I think he might be gay too. The littlest of sound scares the crap out of him. I can only imagine when they captured him with force – poor thing :(

~
Dad: “I’m not gonna get him!”
~

I think I made a face so sinister, it’s hard even for me to describe it.

So without breakfast and bath; me, my sister and a friend decided to get Gary back from the City Pound:



We do love him of course, just as much as we love Wafer, our Lhasa Apso. Gary has been a good and loyal house dog for 4 years now. He is, as what we say in Filipino, an “Askal.”

What’s an Askal? Well, the term was basically coined from “Aso” meaning dog, and “Kalye” meaning street. A dog from the street, “asong kalye” or Askal. Basically, the origin of the breed of these Askals are so mixed up that it’s impossible to identify. It’s kinda like the Australian Dingo.

You better read this for more info on Askals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askal


To cut our long story short, We got Gary back. And we didn’t even have to pay the entire fine either. We got friendly with the City Pound personnel, see? Charisma goes a long way my friends.
I figured they were just doing their job, the city pound folks, no need for hating. (though they pissed me off big time!)

In a way, maybe it’s a good thing that this happened. We realized how much we care for Gary and also how much we’ve been neglecting him. At the end, we have formally registered him under our name. And he was also given an annual anti-rabies shot.

Good on ‘ya Gary-bells!

To end this, I’ll share with you a pic :)


“The dog has been esteemed and loved by all the people on earth and he has deserved this affection for he renders services that have made him man’s best friend.”
Alfred Barbou

No comments:

Post a Comment

and their thoughts...