Friday, August 17, 2012

A nameless enemy


September 26 2009, Metro Manila, Philippines experienced the wrath of Tropical Storm Ketsana, more commonly known as “Ondoy.” It was probably the most devastating and heaviest rainfall experience in the history of our country. According to sources it left a damage of about $1.09 billion and 747 fatalities.
That was BARELY 3 years ago.
Ondoy, 2009:
Nameless monsoon, 2012:
A pretty similar sight.
What's happening to the world?
We probably thought it wouldn’t happen again, right? And we were wrong. For here is another ravaging beast. This time it's not even a typhoon, it's just some nameless monsoon that we can't even curse if we wanted to.
Damn you monsoon-with-no-name!
But we Filipinos know better now, right? We should.
#BangonPilipinas has been trending last Tuesday and Wednesday when the flood was at its meanest (in English it means 'rise Philippines!') to keep everyone's spirit up. Not all areas in Manila were gravely affected as the others, that's why some people rushed to social media sites such as FB and Twitter to update, help and even inspire each other amidst this time of crisis.
There was even an SMS that spread about comparing the date of the flood, August 7 2012,  to the bible verse Genesis 8:7-12. The verse shockingly talks about 'The Great Flood' and Noah's ark. It might be purely coincidental, yes. I'll leave it to you to decide. I also found this Yahoo! article that I thought I might share:

For donations:

Philippines: Manila Flooding 2012 Where to Donate, Emergency Numbers and Relief Centers

There was a pang of guilt in me when I started writing this post last Wednesday, for I only saw it in the television how bad the flood was. I, and some other colleagues, braved the heavy rain and still went to work that night of August 7 -- despite the Presidential decree cancelling work for all public and private offices, including BPO. Don't ask me why and how, but we do have work that night. In all fairness to our company and to other BPO's, they provided shuttle service, food, clothing and of course they had to pay us a little extra for showing up. And they had to, unless they will be reported to DOLE (Dept. of Labor and Employment).
My mom told me to "stay indoors and don't go to work!" However, I thought since there was no flood in my area, sure I'll go. And only a handful of us made it to the office. I didn't mind the extra tasks that I had to do, for it was kind of my way of helping out my colleagues who were stranded and stuck in the flood.
I've no idea how to conclude this, really.
When Mother Nature gets pissed, it's pretty bad for all of us.
What will happen, happens.
We just need to be ready when it does.
"Constant vigilance"
- Alastor Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment

and their thoughts...